Occupie Fitzroy came about mostly through a love for inner-city cafes and the brunch they serve. And puns.
I decided one day that I wanted to visit every cafe, bar and restaurant in my area, originally just for funsies. Then someone suggested I blog about my experiences, thus #OccupieFitzroy was born. I focus mostly on (but am not limited to) the Fitzroy/Collingwood/Brunswick area, and may even head slightly west every now and again if I’m feeling gangster enough. However I definitely keep my eating (and my entire existence) a North Side one, because we cannot forget that all true Melburnians must take the Yarra divide far too seriously.
I do not claim to be a food critic. Mostly because I can’t be bothered entering my limited vocabulary into a thesaurus every time I’m eating. But I do try my best, and these posts are generally limited to a list of ingredients and my initial reaction to food or coffee being put in front of (a usually hungover) me. I intend to reflect on/make fun of my experiences as a whole, from the staff, to the atmosphere, to the fellow patrons and their beards.
All in all, my aim is to experience the amazing culinary culture that exists in Melbourne, while having a laugh.
This is me. Enjoying a ‘fuck yeah’ champagne on a sunny Sunday morning.
To determine food and beverage awesomeness, Occupie Fitzroy uses the following metrics:
- DBI (Door to Beard Index)- An index of the time between entering a venue, to the time one is presented with an incredibly fierce beard (usually an indicator of its general hip factor and indie cred, but occasionally an indicator of old men in general proximity).
- Coffee/Beer Snob Rating- A rating on how much their coffee/beer doesn’t suck.
- Noms!- Is their food nom-worthy?
- How Poor Will It Make Me?– The damage to one’s presumably struggling bank account (struggling from too much brunch).
- Is it Instagram worthy? Because IG is where all the action happens. There’s no use paying money to eat somewhere if your meal isn’t going to look fucking fabulous on your smart phone.